Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Heavy Stuff

What an understatement! The "Living Beyond Yourself" study with DVD messages from God via Beth Moore has been a blessing/ challenge. Also an understatement.

God's timing is so preciously tailored for each of us. Parts of me wish I'd been deep into this study MONTHS ago, yet I realize, I may not have "gotten it" back then.

Now, it blesses, encourages, grips, chastens, comforts, disturbs me EVERY TIME! It's a great thing! Really!!! It just has me so raw emotionally.

I'd love to recap each week so far and the priceless treasures God has opened to me so far, but for now I'll have to stick to last night: Peace

We went first to Isaiah 9:6-7 Which demonstrated that "The increase of peace accompanies the increase of Christ's government.

Also noted: Colossians 3:15:
"Let the peace of Christ RULE in your hearts."

The point? Peace is not about peaceful circumstances. Peace IS about the applied authority of Jesus Christ

Wow!! Bear with me as I type out the chicken scratching that FILLED my workbook page.


  • If I am going to have peace I must bow my knee to the personal rule of Christ
  • "The government shall be upon His shoulders" (plural) He doesn't come to take sides, He comes to TAKE OVER!
  • Peace is always associated with authority
  • I am not at peace in areas I am not under authority
  • The sinful nature resists peace. (Galatians 5:19-22) No peace, poorly handled conflict, discord, we are explosive when we are full of ourselves
  • Peace makers (to make, do, complete or continued action)and Peace keepers (attempt to keep peace at all costs. False peace) are not the same... at all (Matthew 5:9)
  • Shalom means HEALTH
  • Unhealthy peace keeping is an oxymoron
  • Lover of Contention, opposite peacemaker
  • BOTH peacekeeping and contention making are opponents of peacemaking.
  • One motivated by fear and distrust. The other by misery, desire for power, and lack of discipline (Hebrews 12:11 "No discipline seems pleasant, but painful. Afterward it yields a harvest of peace for those who are exercised by it.
  • The drive we have to effect our environment is of God, but when I am filled with myself I am causing harm. When I am filled with the Spirit I am helping.
  • Discord is the seed of Satan for full blown dissention in order to "fell the house"
  • I must bow low in submission in order to allow peace full course in my life

I have been encouraged lately to realize many yearnings and desires I have are of God. So often we equate desire with sin and discontent. These same desires, of God, can easily become sinful when I am not submitted to the authority of His Spirit.

It is also so powerful when God uses "real time" situations to drive home the message personally. (sorry a little latent 24 there)

We are currently in the midst of some less than peaceful circumstances, but I have been amazed at how much peace in the midst of the turmoil I have been blessed with. I now know the key to be the fact that I made it a point to submit to Don's leadership in said circumstance, no matter how entirely opposite it may be from my own inclinations.

Also, an area I lack peace in I now realize is due to the fact that I am not submitted to Don...

HMMMMMMM.

Authority has always been an issue for me... I hear my parent's AMEN from 2o miles away :-)

I find it particularly hard to submit when I get hung up on the "short comings" of any authority.

I've been prompted by this idea before, again last night, and now I share it with you to "put it in your pipe and smoke" for awhile:

I may not trust the person, but I CAN trust God!

I seriously wish I had the $ to purchase the DVD set of messages that go with this study! But I will submit and not buy them :-) I am praying I can get the messages on CD for a decent price. My perspective needs adjusting CONSTANTLY!

I highly recommend getting into this study, with the accompanying messages, in a group!!

Thank you dear Father for you gentle pruning.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

i've written down a few verses that you mentioned - i think that a word study on "peace" in the Bible would probably do me well...

Penny said...

Wow, how awesome! I am actually (if you don't mind!) copying and pasting this blog entry so I can go back and read it again. It's so wonderful!