Monday, March 23, 2009

Comfort Sounds

I used to be a big fan of the sound of rain. It soothed me and brought thoughts of a cozy day curled up with a book or movie.

Since our building project began, the sound of rain is more of a stress than a comfort. Now I associate it with mud, mud and more mud, not getting things done and leaking where we don't want water. It was really hard last summer with all the storms. We lived 8 miles from our building site and we would lay in bed listening to the rain and wind and just wonder what kind of mess awaited us, knowing there was really nothing we could do.

Don and I now have a new comfort sound.... trains. There are tracks a little over a mile from our house. Far enough away to make them more of a background noise. Most nights we hear them as we are settling in for bed. Last night at church, 3 blocks from the tracks, we heard them. The sound made we just want to curl up into Don and fall asleep. It was soothing but we were both enjoying a delicious meal from God's word, so napping had to wait.

Is it weird to think of church as delicious? I do....

And our new pleasure in the sound of trains lies in stark contrast to another night spent 100 ft from tracks.

We spent the night with family, a few years back, who seriously live almost on top of train tracks. They also have a stop right out side their house, in town, so not only do the trains have to blast their whistles in advance, on the way thru , and well past the house, but they also sometimes stop and that is a ruckus in itself.

Add together 3 toddlers, 4+ trains per hour until at least 2AM, and a 9 month pregnant momma..... not a great combo. I was dragging at the zoo the next day. Did I mention the kids SCREAMED at the first rumbling of the trains miles away and continued screaming/ crying until the last rumble giving them just enough time to settle down and start falling asleep, but not quite, before the next train.

I know our extended family is used to the noise and they don't hear the trains any more, but I am sure they heard the kids:-)

Praise the LORD it was nice last week during spring break!!

6 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Someday you'll like the sound of rain again :)

I love that train...except when it stops on the tracks and I want to get through ;)

Sara@iSass said...

We hear trains too. Not like that though. I live by a catholic church and hear the bells often. I like that sound, it's like calling someone home...
I agree with Sarah, someday you'll enjoy the rain again.

Brooke said...

our neighborhood is so quiet it scares me...

Pegsy said...

Hmmm, I would have never thought of rain OR trains as comfort sounds! I'm not really a fan of either! We hear trains from our new house (moved 6 months ago). The first night we were here, Joshua and I were not very happy - the trains kept us up late and woke us up too early. Now we hardly ever notice them!

Penny said...

I am NOT a train fan. It reminds me of the time when Hubby and I first got married and we lived RIGHTBESIDE train tracks. We had two fans going through the night by our bed in an attempt to drown out the noise, but IT. NEVER. WORKED. Now we live about 4 miles away from a train, and while I don't hear it often, sometimes in the morning when I let Superdog out, I can hear the whistle blowing in the distance...but I don't mind it now. =)

Joyfulsheep said...

Hmmm...I wonder whose house you are referring to!! I remember that incident.

I am glad you had a nice spring break.