Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Seeing Red

If you didn't already know, my FAVORITE color is Red.


Red was also the favorite of my Granny. (my dad's mom, Delphia) I wasn't a big fan, of red, while she was alive, but I have found increasingly over the years I am drawn to all things red. (except Hellboy)


I don't really think it has anything to do with her particular tastes, but it is a nice connection!


Have you ever noticed how things you grew up around become your own favorites?


My grandparents are big coffee drinkers and while I was away from home in Life Action I began enjoying it simply because the smell comforted me. Some would say I didn't really enjoy the coffee due to the fact 1/2 my cup was fulled with flavored creamer.


My mom's favorites are M&Ms and Kit Kats. Guess who else enjoys them?! Daddy likes Coke and Peppermint Nougats. Again, they are favorites of mine!


Back to red: When we first started planning a house my instant choice for exterior color was.... RED! Don was very unsure, but by the time came up with another color I thought would work better, he had decided red was the way to go and wasn't swayed by any other colors.


I literally spent a year noting red houses and buildings to see how they looked in all 4 seasons. Red is a touchy color and it is very easy to get it wrong.


I finally decided I wanted the color of the little school house in Cedar Falls. I acquired paint samples and took them to the school to try to match the color. Paint was bought, tinted later, and I was giddy to paint me some siding to see how it looked. I was kinda concerned by the color visible thru the bubble on the top of the can. It looked a little mauve. Scary!!! I got the first coat on.... it looked REALLY mauve, at least when wet. I was freaking out!!!!


As it dried it got darker and I liked the color, but I was still unsure how it would look actually up on the house. I found out today and I LIKE it!!!


Here's to 2 years of stressing over a paint color!



I guess you can't really see it, but I still like it!

South end of the house


Part of the West side








6 comments:

Brooke said...

i love red (as did my great grandmother) :) great choice!! (have you seen the picture of my red kitchen?

Penny said...

Oooh, how great! I can't wait to see more pics!

Arlona Mc said...

I can see the red and I am excited with you. It is exciting to see the siding up. It will be beautiful when you get it all painted. You chose well. Looking forward to seeing more pictures, both inside and outside. Love, Mom

12-arrows said...

I love the red and was hoping you would put up some pictures so my visual mind could see. BEAUTIFUL house! I can see why you are so excited to get it done.

Sara@iSass said...

It looks WONDERFUL! that touch of red is perfect!!!
I shy away from things my family liked. I guess that has always been me. I like what I LIKE and I like being separate. Looking back, now that I don't speak to them anymore, I see it has always been the plan to be separate from them. Hold my own.
(I'm not implying those that don't are mini-me(s) I don't feel that AT ALL, I would LOVE to have those things mean and matter, coming from a loving family that shares values/likes/dislikes...I never had that kind of family.
I do now:
Roo and I like peanut butter cups.
Butter and I like music and to sing and perform.
Hubby and I like to watch sports together. We both read the whole front page of the paper and skip the rest.

Julie said...

In Norway we would call that a villa. I gigant beautiful house. I must say. Everything in the US really is huge...