Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Body

Ephesians 4:15 &16
(The Message)
He handed out gifts above and below, filled heaven with his gifts, filled earth with his gifts. He handed out gifts of apostle, prophet, evangelist, and pastor-teacher to train Christ’s followers in skilled servant work, working within Christ’s body, the church, until we’re all moving rhythmically and easily with each other, efficient and graceful in response to God’s Son, fully mature adults, fully developed within and without, fully alive like Christ.
(KJV)
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ: From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.
These verses were fresh in my mind on the way home from church this morning, not because I heard them while I was there, but because I SAW these verses at work.
Firstly, I have the wonderful privilege of being the minister of cards and flowers at our church. I love this job! It is very much a part of who God made me to acknowledge the joys and pains of others. We have had a load of surgeries in our church this month and I was checking with the powers that be to make sure I didn't overdo it. Their response: You are free to do what ever God prompts you to!
Also a large part of who I am is a love of color and thus paint. Seeing we aren't to the painting stage here at our house I undertook our church nursery. It was needing an update and again, I was given the freedom to serve with my gift in this area.
Don was quite sick this morning and thus I was at church on my own with 4 of our 5 kids.
Much as we had hoped it would pass us by, we did indeed get a load of blowing snow this morning. The vehicles in the parking lot were covered with at least 3" of snow. As I headed out with my gang I was blessed to find our pastor and deacons out "serving" by clearing a path to each car and also clearing the snow off all the vehicles.
It may not seem to some like that big of a deal, but it was the perfect example of a body working together to meet the needs of all. I was very blessed by the action, and heartened by the knowledge that our body was working together.
To top it all off tonight we heard from a fellow parishioner tonight in our evening service. (another example of the body working together) He challenged us with the understanding that we are ALL ministers. Guess what passage came up in his message?
Again I was very blessed as this man opened his heart to share what God had been teaching him. It was so right on!
Thank you Father for the way you bring people together and the provision you make for unity and burden bearing in the church body. Thank you for our pastor and his consistent example of servant leadership reflecting Christ thru his life. Thank you for our men and their faithfulness to step up and lead in the church and in our homes. Thank you for my fellow sisters in Christ and their willingness to embrace all you have for them. Thank you for the multitude of children you have blessed us with. Thank you for the things they are learning. We pray they all come to know you personally and they thrive and grow for You.
Thank you for Jesus and His sacrifice to make this all possible.
All Glory to God!

No comments: