Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Windows!

I was awakened at 10:30 pm last night by my cell phone. Don had called to tell me, "I found it!" I was quite confused until he explained further, "I found the last nail for getting the roof shingled!" It is/was a relief to him to have that project completely buttoned up! He had only the ridge vent to install last night and with the help of our friend Michael, he got it done!

Today Don took 1/2 the day off, and he and my brother Marc tackled the windows on the main level.
This is the view outside our bedroom on the NW corner of the house.
This is the inside!

It has been our experience that each phase of this building project takes longer than anticipated. Both Don and I were pleasantly surprised to find the windows going in VERY well. They may even get all the main level windows in by the end of the evening. If possible they will install the patio doors as well, but we'll see how it goes. I guess Michael was going to show up again tonight, so there will be plenty of man power there!

In order to get the patio doors in they need to tear down the scaffolding, move it to the back of the house and set it up again. Marc let me know, in so many words, he didn't care for my choice in patio doors. They are VERY heavy!!! I don't know that another door would have been lighter, but we sure are thankful for all those willing to lend their muscles to accomplish this feat!
It may be hard to see, but it is beautiful!!!


When I took supper to Marc and Don, at 6pm, they had installed 9 of the 15 windows. (This # excludes the 2 patio doors) At this point the biggest challenge seems to be finding a firm footing for the ladder 15 feet down from where the window is being installed! Marc was working on the outside, Don on the inside. When I saw how Marc had to push the ladder away from the outside of the house and hang from the roof while Don was maneuvering the window unit thru the hole I decided to leave. Thankfully they only had 4 more windows to do so far off the ground, and 3 of them are all in one spot!

Once all the windows on the main floor are in place we will be able to keep the upstairs dry. We are waiting to install the lower level windows until the floor has been poured down there. Don needs to install plumbing and the in floor heat before we can have the concrete poured.
This is the NE corner of the house.
(Don started removing the roof jacks tonight)


This is the window in the "office".
The wood for the windows was all finished before they were put together. I wasn't 100% happy with how my choice of color for the pole barn turned out, and it made me a little gun shy about making other choices pertaining to the house. I am ABSOLUTELY THRILLED with the divided lights,wood grain, stain, and hardware on the windows! (All decisions I made over 2 months ago)

No comments: