Friday, April 25, 2008

Standing In The Gap For Me

Today my "little" brother graduated from the police academy. It was neat to see the class of 11 and some of their footage of being "maced" and parts of their training. They looked so sharp! Each is already working for various community departments. The class chose who would address them during the graduation. The speech was interesting in that it was exactly what the officers needed to hear, but more sobering to those of us in the audience.


What a massive role to carry! It was noted that only 5% of those desiring to become an officer actually qualify. They were referred to as a part of the "Thin Blue Line". In context I am assuming this referred to a line protecting the "good" from the "evil". The speaker even mentioned how from now on the officers would never really be able to relax in a public setting.

During the ceremony I realized how little I know about the training Marc has been thru. They spoke of hundreds of hours of classroom training, and testing, as well as the many hours spent learning and practicing with firearms.

I've known for over a year, maybe two, Marc was planning to become an officer, but he speaks very little of how much work that entails. Maybe that is a part of being a good officer.

I have a brother-in-law who is also a police officer. He has been for as long as I've known him, but I NEVER think of him within the context of his job when we spend time with him and his family! I remember J's occupation when his wife, A, speaks of court appearances, trials, 3rd shift. But who is the world are they discussing when they talk about having to deal with domestic disturbances, gruesome homicide investigations, and having an unlisted phone number and surveillance cameras at their home due to threats to J's person?!?!?!?!?

I have seen Marc in uniform quite a few times, but I only remember seeing J in uniform once. It was strange to see this gentle, loving giant of a man, transformed in uniform into a presence invoking awe and commanding respect.

Marc and J are both formidable men. Tall and broad with strong bodies they carry with them a sense of safety which covers those they are with. But still I fear for them and pray for their safety. Some of the other men and women were smaller and seemed young but all carried the weight of their chosen responsibility well.

I know there are those who despise the uniform, and there are those who have disgraced it. In my mind it stands as a symbol of one who has voluntarily chosen to make my well-being his/ her utmost priority.

In that context I cannot help but think of my Savior. Christ chose to protect my life KNOWING it would cost Him everything, knowing I would reject Him, yet He willingly humbled Himself and gave His all for ME!

Though most in uniform do not realize it, they are a reflection of God on earth. Thank you to all who have chosen this enormous responsibility both here at home and abroad! I am eternally grateful and you are in my prayers.