Saturday, April 26, 2008

Renew Me

One of the tremendous blessings, since our move to "Corn Country" three years ago, has been the local Ladies Bible Study I am a part of. When I first started coming they were in the middle of a study on being a Mom. After that we went to a study on being a Wife, followed by studies on being a Woman of Purpose and Authentic Relationships.

More recently we stepped up and tackled "Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Sets Them Free" by Nancy Leigh DeMoss. As if that wasn't brutal enough we now have the spotlight trained full power on our hearts as we journey together thru "Seeking Him: a handbook for personal revival". (also co-authored by the painfully honest Nancy Leigh)

I personally did not push for either of these studies due to having already gone thru "Lies" and knowing full well "Seeking Him" would be just as convicting. God in His wisdom brought both studies to our group in HIS time. I am just thankful we meet every other week so we get a little extra time to process the areas God reveals as needing attention!

All that to say ( I do have a point to this!) I knew my heart needed revival. I knew God was reaching out to me offering more peace, more joy, more love. I knew I could have all that, be all He wanted me to be. But I knew I would need to humble myself. I knew I would have to become transparent, before God and those in our study, about my comfortable apathy. I knew I was just too tired to add another thing to my "to do list".

Thankfully God stepped in, prompted the heart of one of the ladies, and the decision was made despite my firmly planted heels. Actually, I even gave my book to someone else when the study first started because we ran short, aren't I generous! Again, God stepped in and miraculously the order I placed for another book arrived 3 days after I ordered it and in plenty of time to have me current for our first time together in the study. I was kinda crabby that night and threatened to stay home. (Can you believe I am the mom of 5? I act like I'm 2 sometimes!!)

And now... the above song has been my heart cry for the past month. I was struck with the lyrics in the midst of my rebellion against God working in my heart. I had a comfortable existence. I was a Christian. I tried to live godly - on my own. I urged my children to thirst for God - but I didn't. GOD!!!! CHANGE ME!!!!

He is soooo faithful! He heard. He is drawing, not pushing. He is equipping. He is whetting my thirst for Him. It's exhausting! Obedience is a place of safety and comfort.

1 comment:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

I hadn't heard that song before, it's beautiful!

May God give us the strength to endure to the finish, with a new and revived passion for Him, that impacts not only our lives but our families, friends and everyone around us...for His glory!

Isn't He amazing.