Friday, January 2, 2009

Peace

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.
That pretty much sums the past couple of weeks for our family.
So many precious memories and growth, yet so much turmoil and tension.
So many paths to growth being pursued, so many barricades we must lay at the feet of Christ.
So much to say, so much to ponder.
I can say we are so very blessed! We had a perfect New Years! Our church went a head and help prayer meeting on Wednesday night. I would have totally understood if they had cancelled, I probably would have supported the idea, but it turned out to be just what we needed.
God is so good like that! He keeps showing me how perfect things can be if I wait on Him and cease from striving. I am learning to seek His leading to help me discern between my zeal and Git R' Done "tendencies" and when He has a Plan Of Action for me. Also a constant balancing act is weighing whether keeping silent is apathy or wisdom.
So, back to our New Years.... usually Wednesday nights are a time of service to a bunch a kids from our community, but this past Wednesday we were all able to sit down together and it was such a cozy time.
I love that our church has such a united heart for ministry to each other and to all God sends our way! It is such a blessing to know those I invite will be safe and welcomed by all.
I digress, again, Pastor shared his observations of growth in the past year and his vision for 2009. He also opened things up for everyone else to do the same. There really has been a lot going on with our church body. Tornadoes, floods, moving, building, rebuilding..... It is so important to look back. God's faithfulness can be so quickly eclipsed, at least for me, by mounting troubles. Just that morning God had brought me to Hebrews 3:12-16 (The Message)
So watch your step, friends. Make sure there’s no evil unbelief lying around that will trip you up and throw you off course, diverting you from the living God. For as long as it’s still God’s Today, keep each other on your toes so sin doesn’t slow down your reflexes. If we can only keep our grip on the sure thing we started out with, we’re in this with Christ for the long haul.
So that was my lesson from 08/ challenge for 09. Even the kid, who out numbered the adults, got involved. They shared things they were thankful for, prayed and got to sing their favorite song 2X!!! I think "Bold As A Lion, Brave As A Bear" is the song Pastor has adopted for our theme song for 2009. The kids are thrilled.
After church we went, for the first time, to our friends new house. We brought our Wii, Christmas gift from the Mc's) and hooked it up to their Living Room TV. Their Wii was hooked up to the 10 foot screen in their home theater. The kids had a blast bowling, and watching "Cars" on that monster!
We took turns upstairs facing off in tennis and boxing. It was fun! We stayed until midnight and prayed in the new year. It was precious!
It is WONDERFUL being home together as a family. Don has recently seen clearly God's path for our family and is doing a fabulous job of communicating and leading us.
There is more to say, but there is a lot to do.
A special shout out to my nephew Caleb on this his 6th birthday!

6 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Can't wait to see what 09 holds in store :)...although I'm not crazy about the theme song ;)

Brooke said...

I hate to see when some churches close for "worldly" holidays.

one church even moved up evening service one year because of the super bowl!

ryc: i've put the book on my 2009 reading list - i hope to make it to the used bookstore soon and i'll look for it. thanks!

Unknown said...

Happy New Year to you and your family and freinds i love the new blog face lift.i am siting in the library and cant get my bum in to gear.

Pegsy said...

Hi Sarah! I was sooo excited to get your comment the other day! I wasn't ignoring you - just trying to survive all the holidays! I've wondered about you guys occasionally - can't believe you have 5 kiddos now! That's wonderful! It's really great to catch up with you guys. I'm adding you to my blogroll, so I'll remember to check in with you. Please tell Don I said "hello!"

Penny said...

So true! Oh, and I love the new design for your blog!

Pegsy said...

Since I'm new to the whole giveaway thing...what is a Pay It Forward giveaway? I've not heard of it. Hope you're having a great week!