Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Know I'm Not The Only One..

I, faintly, remember the days when I looked down on those who used the "one eyed monster" as a babysitter.

My own "warming" to the idea started in the 5th year of marriage when I was pregnant with our 5th child. We had not had a TV in our house previously, but a friend had loaned us a 7" screen/ VCR combo. I occasionally used it to entertain Homer (4) Marlene (3) and Jon (2) for 20-40 minutes in the evening while I cleaned up after supper. It was a time of "blessed quietness"!(Delphia, 9months or so, was generally sleeping on Homer's lap. He was a great one for rocking the babies!)

Over the years the screen has gotten slightly larger, though still small, and we can play DVDs as well. There are times I have overused it as an excuse for being lazy. But all in all I find it like everything else in life: Balance is the key, and balance is actually much harder than reverting to one extreme or the other.

So, anyway, today we had a little friend over who had not previously visited without his mom. There was some question as to how things would go but thanks to Dora and Diego we have found a common ground. 20 minutes of the overly cheerful, bilingual toddler plus some fruit snacks and they are off playing on their own and I am trying to find the house I KNOW is somewhere under all the piles!



One last note. Due to Delphia's former craze with all things Dora we have quite a few episodes of her show. Monday I had to take Jesse to U of I hospitals for the yearly check up on his leg. During a down time out doors Jesse stayed busy running back and forth on a rise in the sidewalk asking me, "Mom, what does ___________ mean?" He threw in various, I'm assuming, Spanish words. I did know what Amigo meant, but beyond that, I had no idea if he was even saying a real Spanish word or just making one up. I'm not real crazy about being the uni lingual parent of a bi-lingual child. We may have to nix that chipper chick!

P.S. I am trying to choose flooring, I found some I LOVE!!! Guess what, it's the most expensive out there! Go figure. It's hard to pick something else when you've seen your hearts desire. I just have to keep remembering the choke inducing price tag!

3 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

LOVE IT!

You're the best :) They look so cute on the ottoman!

How did Jesse's appt. go?

12-arrows said...

We have banned TV viewing for weekends only, no before school, no after school. It was rough the first week but now, they don't even miss it and really they aren't glued to it on the weekends like I thought they might be either. AMAZING! I do wish, however, they my little one would just sit and watch one episode of Barney so I could get ready without having one leg against half the vanity and the other leg against the other half and one hand on a drawer to keep her out of them! Its a definite love/hate relationship with the tv!

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

I have definitely overused tv a time ir two...
I so get what you mean about the flooring. :) I was just talking about such things with Dave. I hope you are able to find a really nice alternative. :)