Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Cheap Imitations

Romans 1:18-23 (The Message)
But God's angry displeasure erupts as acts of human mistrust and wrongdoing and lying accumulate, as people try to put a shroud over truth. But the basic reality of God is plain enough. Open your eyes and there it is! By taking along and thoughtful look at what God has created, people have always been able to see what their eyes as such can't see: eternal power, for instance, and the mystery of his divine being. So nobody has a good excuse. What happened was this: People knew God perfectly well, but when they didn't treat him like God, refusing to worship him, they trivialized themselves into silliness and confusion so that there was neither sense nor direction left in their lives. They pretended to know it all, but were illiterate regarding life. They traded the glory of God, who holds the whole world in his hands, for cheap figurines you can buy at any roadside stand.

I have been pondering this passage for the past few days. I have also continue to read
"Captivating". They both have worked hand in hand as God directs. Captivating highlights the fact that EVERY woman was created with a beauty to unveil, but Satan is jealous of the beauty God has created in us as women. (remember he was the " fairest in the land") As such Satan works overtime on women to do one of two things:
1) convince us we do not have a beauty to reveal
2) get us to abuse our beauty

The highlighted verse has been one I bring to mind often thru out the day, and ask myself, "Is this a cheap replacement for God's glory?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! Interesting "handle," "short and gaudy"! I enjoyed a peek at your blog after I saw your comment on "Bring the Rain." I admire you thinking so deeply about the questions you note today. Have you ever read C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters"? It is a wonderful book where a "senior demon" advises a "junior demon" in effective ways to torment and influence humans.

Lewis observes that satan takes a characteristic that a small percentage of women might have in any given day and age and makes it the ideal to which all aspire, for example, dainty ankles, a tiny waist, a large bust. I always thought that this was a great point. I'd better dash but if you want to reply, here's my email, immichal@yahoo.com.

In Christ, Michal Ann!
Lake Forest Park, WA

(I am going to have to be "anon" because this thing messes with me and rejects my password occasionally.) (BTW My name is pronounced like "Michael" but my namesake was the first wife of David, daughter of Saul. The Hebrew meaning is "brook," and I hope to be a channel of life and refreshment.)