Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Birthday Saga Continues

Usta! Things do stay busy! I am a couple of days late honoring our oldest son, Homer, on his 9th birthday. But, he was 7 days overdue, so I think he'll understand!
We started the celebration a day early with his birthday cake on Sunday. He wanted ice cream sandwich cake for his cake and we were having company Sunday for lunch. There is such a thing as TOO MUCH CAKE!

M0nday was "the day". Homer has been after me for some time to make coffee cake. I have tried a few times in my married life, but so far none have lived up to my expectations. I got my mom's recipe last week and tried it one more time....IT WORKED! I was glad and Homer was ecstatic! He did wonder when we were going to get the donuts for his birthday breakfast, but I told him that would be overkill! We will do donuts next Monday for my birthday.


Homer got to light the candles on both his birthday cake and coffee cake. I think that was the best part for him :)

We went to the pool on his birthday and then to see "Kung Fu Panda". The kids have been anxious to see it, and it was finally in the $1 theater! Tuesday afternoon I had errands to do, so Homer got to go shopping for his birthday gift. He chose a remote control airplane. He also purchased batteries for said plane, helmet and pads, and a couple of toys for the pool.

Monday also began swimming lessons. They are every week day morning at 9 for 2 weeks. I am enjoying walking on the nearby track while they do their lessons. It is best for me to leave. Otherwise Jesse turns into an infant and cries instead of doing what he is told. If I leave, he is cool.

Bones,

My dear dear first baby, what am I supposed to do with you?!! Your emerging manhood is evidenced daily, sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes....not so much. I know well the pressures of being the oldest. I was so sure I would NEVER blame my oldest child for leading siblings astray, it seemed so unfair! But the facts are these, no matter what it is you do, it does set an example.

I have to admit, raising a "man in training" is quite a challenge for me. I am beginning to catch a glimpse of what makes your dad tick, and sometimes it helps me help you, but then there is that whole other side of you that is SOOOO ME! (but in male form, it's a little weird)

I deeply appreciate your ability to sense what I need done, and your willingness (for the most part) to do what you can to help. Even if it means bossing your siblings :) I treasure the moments of vulnerability when you will let me hold you close. The "kisses are gross" stage is here for now, but the twinkle in your eye when your dad or I catch you unaware and lay one on you tells me it's more about being "tuff" than actually disliking affection.

There are so many time you and your dad are like oil and water. I am never sure weather or not to try to mediate or just observe; but then the next thing I know you are working side by side accomplishing great things! Thanks so much for building your muscles working on our new house. You have been a great help to daddy and thus to me. I wish I could be out there doing more, but your perseverance, even until 1am, amazes and encourages us both.

Thank you for getting on board and leading as we, as a family, make decisions based on

#1) is it best for the whole family?

#2) does it promote peace in our home?

I can't believe we made you! God is so good to us! We pray for you daily. We love you!

I love you!

Momma

2 comments:

Sarah@Life in the Parsonage said...

Happy Birthday Homer! And that cake was fantastic...still need the recipe ;)

Wendi@EveryDayMiracles said...

So sweet Sarah! I love the way you articulate your unique feelings for each very unique child God has gifted you with. Miss you all.